Friday, July 6, 2012

Day of Defeat

A masterpiece in the genre. I remember buying HL:Anthology in 2006 and it brought me all of the gold src games: CS, HL, Blue Shift, OF, Ricochet, DM: Classic, TFC and of course Day of Defeat, shortly dod. I bought it for CS, but I played the other games as well. I've already played the HL games, when I was a little kid in the internet cafe near my home, but this one I've never had a glimpse of it. And man when I started was it the balls. Pure action oriented, high skill-cap, fast-paced cs-style gameplay ww2 action. Better than bf1942, better than cod1 and its expansions, cod2 and all cods. It blew my mind on so many levels. Getting the kar running on dod_avalanche and destroying them all. Fast paced CTF and objective style gameplay, with a lot of shooting and different classes. Nades were awesome and strong, no regen mechanics. Pure skill-based from the shooting, to the running, to the camping. There are camping classes - the sniper and machinegunner. There are a handful of weapons with all classes. Even a bazooka. In a game like this explosions are strong, cause the maps are small, but oh man is it awesome.


This picture will forever be embedded into my mind. Holding the kar playing as the axis. Do note of course I don't particularly the axis or the allys. I don't like war, I just love ww2 games. WW2 shooter games are one of the best. Kar98k is my favorite rifle by far. In this game it's like the sniper in CS. It's a high risk, high reward rifle. It does by far the most damage output from the rifles and automatic guns, but has a drawback, it's bolt action. There is a reload between shots, and if you miss the first shot, that's when the opponent can kill you, and that's why I love it. I once did an 8 kill streak with the kar. Anyway, it's a great game, the wall of text is enough to say it. Try it if you can, but better buy DOD:S, I'll explain why in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment